Saturday, November 24, 2007

BLACK FRIDAY OR BUST....MORE OF A BUST!

I could not wait for yesterday, Black Friday. I wait all year for this day. Yeah I know it is crazy, but there is something about waiting in line while it is almost dark outside....running in the stores as the doors open....and grabbing all the many deals. It gives me a rush....it's so fun! I have done this with my mom for a long time, and with my sister in laws, Donna and Crystal, for a few years now. So...on Thursday night I set my alarm. 3:20am. JCPenny's opened at 4am, Wal-Mart at 5am, Target at 6am....and all other stores around 7am. Now, let me add that usually on Black Friday, I don't set an alarm. My mom comes in and wakes me up and tells me we have to leave in like 30 minutes. So, I just get dressed, get some coffee that my mom has made for me, and put my makeup on in the car (while it is still dark outside...impressive). This year, the alarm went off...and I hit snooze 3 times. I did not want to get up and had decided that I did not need anything from JC Penny's, so I would not be there at 4. But, I finally got up. I called Donna who was 2 hours ahead of me and already on her second store. It gave me a bit of motivation. I got dressed and headed to walmart....I pulled in the parking lot at 4:21 am. My heart began to race!!!! There was a line to get into the store all the way across the front, all the way down the side, and around the back by the tire and lube center. WOW, this was exciting. So, a little giddy, I walk quickly to get in line (I don't know why I walked quickly, it's not like it was moving). I made some friends in line and we laughed and giggled and talked the entire hour we stood outside of walmart. They could only let so many people in at a time once it hit 5am. My friends in line were there for a flat panel tv....me....I was in line for a sewing machine (more detail to come later). My chances of getting a sewing machine were pretty good. I knew the few hundred people in front of me were not all there for the $54 steal on the sewing machine. But, my friend was worried about her t.v. chances. Eventually we both got in and both got our goods. And that was the most fun part of my day. From there it went down hill. I decided that Black Friday without your family is a bummer. There were lots of things in the stores that I wanted, but I did not have the stamina to wait in line...I had no one to bond with...well, I am sure I could have found someone, but I was not in the mood to force some random line waiter to get to know me. I got a few things, but not nearly as many as I would have liked. I came home around 1:30pm. So, I went at it for almost 8 hours!

Now, back to this sewing machine. I have always wanted to sew. I love being crafty, and well sewing would just expand my gift giving possibilities (and, I need a hobby for qatar). I told Ryan I wanted to get this sewing machine as my Christmas present from him. He laughed and has very little confidence that I will be able to do this. I mean, I know I need lessons, but still it can't be that difficult. So, I got it, and I need some encouragement, because I was looking at the instructions for how to just get the thread in the thing....and I thought, well heck....how am I suppose to do this if they make threading the needle so difficult. (By the way, I did not tell Ryan that I was struggling).

This has been a lot of rambling, and well, I think I am gonna go back to the stores today. I have to find just the right semi-formal party dress for Ryan's company holiday party and I am running out of time.

1 comment:

Suzanne Ross said...

Stacey, I have grown to LOVE using my sewing machine, but boy did it take me a while to feel comfortable using it! I had to take lessons at the fabric store a few times (and beg my mom and Sarah to help me!) before I got the hang of it. Good luck, I hope you LOVE it too!!