Thursday, March 6, 2008

Polka Dots and Ditches!


Well, for a few years I have wanted laser surgery on my face to remove acne scars. However, after finding out the price I decided it might be shallow to spend that much money to change my appearance. Besides, the scars actually represent the passing of something painful, annoying, and ugly. So, I should be thankful for these scars and not trying to get rid of them....right? Well, 2 weeks ago I was tutoring my precious and beloved Ethan and Romea. Ethan is 6 and Romea is 4. I absolutely love them! In fact right after moving here to CA, they were living in our apartment complex while their house was being remodeled. Since I knew no one, anytime I would hear or see them at the pool I would run out and casually decide to lay out at that very same time....just so I could be around some children....and they were such fun ones! Now we have such a great friendship! ....Anyway.....last week Romea looked at my face pretty intensely, and then this was the conversation that followed her stare:


Romea: Miss Stacey what are those ditches on your face?


Miss Stacey: Oh, those bumps...well they are called pimples. They are no fun.


Romea: (still staring) No, not the bumps (touching one)....the ditches (now touching the ditch)...what are these ditches in your face?


Miss Stacey: (cracking up with laughter)...OH, those! Well, those do look like ditches, you are right!


Romea: But what are they?


Miss Stacey: They are scars...from when I use to have those bumps.

(She gently rubbed the ditches as to show me sympathy....and then hopped off.)


................................TODAY'S CONVERSATION WITH ROMEA.............................................


Romea: Miss Stacey, What are those polka dots on your face?


Miss Stacey:(remembering last weeks conversation I immediately pause to appreciate how hilarious the moment is) Oh, Romea.....those are freckles!


Romea: OH


...............FUNNY ROMEA MOMENT 3.......................................


So Romea was drawing illustrations for a story she told me and then she was going to draw me...and she says:


Romea: I think you look like a dead fish.


Miss Stacey: A dead fish?? Romea, have you ever even seen a dead fish? (I mean surely if she had she would not see such a resemblance)


Romea: Yes, and I touched it with the back of my hand.


Lucy: (Ethan's little friend) Nah, I think you look like a dead fairy.


Miss Stacey: Goodness, thank you Lucy. I'd rather be a dead fairy than a dead fish.

This is Romea (pronounced Row-May-Uh)





After today, I think I shall seriously reconsider laser surgery, or maybe something even more dramatic!

1 comment:

Erika Hettinger said...

Oh my...kids say the darndest things!

I, for one, think that you are SO beautiful! This is news to me that you even have acne scars...I've never noticed them. And as for freckles...it takes a strong woman to carry those off (and nobody has more "polka dots" than me!) :-)