Saturday, September 22, 2007

IT'S ALL JUST ONE BIG LIE!

Sunday is the first official day of Fall in case you did not know. And, and a first grade teacher you have to really play it up. They think I am so excited because of the season change. We will begin doing all kinds of fall projects, worksheets with leaves and pumpkins,etc. We get to change the dial on our season chart from summer to fall.....and to be honest my excitement is all one big lie. Normally, my very favorite season is fall. Fall is my favorite for several reasons: The weather, the leaves, the change of my attire. It reminds me of being in high school and of cheering and football games. It takes me back to memories of hayrides on a cool nights. I even love the smell of fall. I think what I am use to smelling is the pesticide they put on cotton around this time...but it tells my body...ahhh, it's fall! Well, this year....it's a different story. Let me explain. The weather is changing a bit (it even rained last night...and that is soooo rare) but not too much change, leaves changing colors...When discussing what happens in fall on Friday with my students, one informed me that leaves don't really change colors. Poor thing, he has never been outside of California...maybe even LA...and the leaves don't change colors...I mean Palm Trees??
Despite the fact that the weather has only dropped to like 68 degrees....people are wearing scarves for goodness sakes! There is no cheer leading....don't even know a high schooler to go to a football game(haha) and my cheerleading suits are in MS so I cannot even put them on to wear around the house (believe me, I would). And....I cannot smell cotton or cotton pesticide....I smell salt water. Which brings me to this point. If I cannot have the "REAL FALL" then I don't won't fall at all. I look around and see palm trees, sand, and a beautiful ocean. If I am at the beach, I want the weather to be beachy!!! So, I am going through a sad emotion....Summer don't leave.....fall don't come! ......I just woke up less than an hour ago....and have a lot to do today and tomorrow (around the house), but if that sun comes out...I am stopping everything, putting on my swimsuit (not a scarf) and heading to the beach to enjoy the last days of summer!

Y'all in Texas and in Mississippi......enjoy what Fall should feel like for me, And when you see the beautiful orange, yellow, and red leaves....think of the poor deprived children in Los Angeles who don't believe that leaves really can change color.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Preach it sista! The palm trees in south Florida don't exactly change colors either! We SOO miss the seasonal changes! It keeps making MS more and more beautiful to me. We miss you and love you!
Crystal

Christin said...

I feel your pain Stacey! I go through this same emotion every year. I remember one year trying to explain it to one of my coworkers who is a native of So. Cal. She just looked at me perplexed and said, "But it DOES change seasons here."

I didn't know what to say to her!